Soeur Ethington | Week 37

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends! Even though I didn't celebrate Thanksgiving here in France, I've never been more grateful for all of my many blessings. Being a missionary is the best choice I've ever made and I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm teaching wonderful, beautiful people (and they're teaching me), I have a wonderful companion, I am in the best ward with the best members, and I have a Heavenly Father who loves me so much despite all my weaknesses. 

Our Thanksgiving miracle this week happened while Soeur Ackroyd and I were late to a rendez-vous. We were speed-walking through the busy streets of Boulogne-Billancourt and we passed a little old man hobbling along with his cane. As we walked past him, I chirped a warm "bonjour" and flashed a smile, and I caught a glimpse of his sad smile back. I wanted to turn around and talk to him but immediately dismissed the prompting because we were already so late! But I felt it again, so I immediately stopped and ran back to him, Sister Ackroyd at my heels because she'd felt the same prompting. We asked him if we could help him carry his little sack of groceries, to which he gratefully accepted. We ended up cancelling the rendez-vous and spending the next hour and a half with George (that's his name). He's had a pretty hard life and has lost all of his close family members. He loves God and Jesus Christ but can't go to the church that's directly across from his apartment because he has such bad leg pain. It takes him all day for him to go from his house to the little cafe right next to his apartment. It was freezing outside but I didn't feel the cold as I testified of the Plan of Salvation to this sweet little old man. He had tears in his eyes as I told him he would see his family again, and he just kept whispering, "je t'écoute" (I'm listening). Until that moment, he said, he'd lost hope in the world. He was so grateful for us and for what we are doing to help people. Moments like this are what make being a missionary worth it. 

This week in the VC, we met the most amazing person. His name is Brother McDonald and he came all the way from Australia to see the temple! As soon as he walked in, I had a distinct impression that I'd met him before, and as we talked, I realized more and more that he and I probably knew each other before this life. We showed him around the VC and started talking about Joseph Smith's first vision. All three of us were testifying about him and how God calls imperfect people to do a perfect work! Brother McDonald told us a story about how he once spent a long time building a really nice shed. One of the final steps was laying the cement flooring, and he thought he'd let his kids write their names in the drying cement. Ever since then, the floor has been warped. The tables and shelves don't sit right, and you have to be careful where you step. Brother McDonald told us that even though his kids kind of ruined his shed, he wouldn't want it any other way. God is like that too-- He has a perfect plan, but then He lets us write all over it. And because of that, He loves it even more. 

It's so true. God could've called an army of angels or robots to preach the Gospel, and they would've done it perfectly. But instead, He called a bunch of 18-25 year olds. We aren't perfect, at least I know I'm not, but I know that God has called me as a missionary for a purpose. I know that God has a plan for all of us, and that His plan is perfect. All we need to do is have a perfect faith in His perfect plan, and then nothing can stop us. 

À bientôt,
Soeur Ethington


Our awesome district from last transfer. Our current district is almost the same, just minus E. Hill and plus E. Johnson. From left to right: S. Ackroyd, me, E. Pickard, E. Hill, E. Daines, E. Ware.

I never get sick of seeing the Eiffel Tower.


The temple sisters with Sister Eubanks and Sister Sorensen!


Us meeting Sister Eubanks


We found a HUGE RAT in the temple gardens. We hid as the elders tried to find it. 

Comments