Soeur Ethington | Week 71
What a great week!
We had exchanges in Évry with Soeur Henderson and Soeur Picklesimer and we got to go to district council in Melun. I absolutely love the Évry sisters and had so much fun on my exchange with Soeur Picklesimer! She's so funny and has such a big heart.
We also got to teach French class at Restos du Coeur this week, which was a ton of fun! We taught a couple from Russia and two men from Afghanistan how to describe the weather and the seasons. I love serving at Restos du Coeur and seeing the difference it makes in peoples' lives.
The highlight of this week, however, was the baptism of our ami Thomas! He was so excited to be baptized, he literally ran out of the chapel as soon as the last person in the program was finished speaking. By the time everyone had gotten to the room to watch the baptism, he was already in the water. My favorite part was seeing how happy his family was after he was confirmed! I've loved every baptism I've participated in, but this one was one of my favorites.
During the baptism, I remembered something I'd written in my journal almost a year and a half ago:
"It's hard to see what my mission will make of me. Will I help others come unto Christ? Will I see baptisms? I don't know. Sitting in those practice MTC lessons, it doesn't feel like it. I know I have a long way to go, and it's not gonna be easy. But I know it'll be worth it."
Now, here we were. Soeur Fears and I were companions again, much different people from those terrified girls who sat in the MTC classroom almost a year and a half ago. We'd never dreamed this would happen, yet it did. I felt my heart swell with gratitude and realized that, in His own way, God had answered my little prayer from all those months ago.
I was reminded of the words from the children's song Soeur Fears and I sang for Thomas's baptism:
"Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev’ry child’s prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
...
...
Pray, he is there;
Speak, he is list’ning.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;
He loves His children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav'n. "
I know that Heavenly Father does, indeed, hear and answer every child's prayer. Thank you for all your love!
Sending you all of mine.
À bientôt,
Soeur Ethington
![]() |
| Thomas's baptism! |
![]() |
![]() | |
|
![]() |
| When you're in a bind and still haven't gotten your studies in, you study while you're waiting for your train! Candid by Soeur Crosby. |
![]() |
| Us and Soeur Telo. I love her so much. |
![]() |
| The view from our apartment. It never gets old. |
![]() |
| District Council in Melun |
![]() |
Orléans centreville with Bourges after Thomas's baptismal interview
|










Comments
Post a Comment